Tuesday, March 3, 2020

May the Luck of the Irish be with you with this UW-Stout inspired recipe


We are back for March with another UW-Stout inspired recipe. I am celebrating National Noodle Month and National Irish Food Day coming up March 17th (St. Patrick’s Day!) by recreating an Irish inspired recipe I originally cooked back in February 2017, Corned Beef Casserole from Stout’s Favorites 2nd edition cookbook, p. 22, available via the Internet Archive at   https://archive.org/details/StoutsFavoritesSecondEdition


Original Recipe, Stout's Favorite's 2nd edition, p. 22


The cookbook was published by the Home Economics Club of Stout State College, 1958, featuring favorite recipes of faculty and students, and "dedicated to all those people who enjoy preparing and eating good food.” The recipe was submitted by Wesley L. Face, an Instructor of Industrial Education. Face taught at Stout for over 30 years and was Acting Chancellor in 1988 when UW-Stout was transitioning between Chancellors Robert Swanson and Charles Sorenson. 


Wesley Face, 1958 Tower Yearbook, p. 25



I followed the recipe pretty close. I used about two-thirds of a 12 oz. box of Creamette bowtie noodles which work great, but a variety of small noodles could work, and cook the noodles according to the directions on the box. I used a 14 oz. can of Hormel Homestyle corned beef hash (vs. just corned beef), which has small chunks of potato in it, and an 8 oz. block of Marble Cheddar cheese, because I could not find American Cheese, which I sliced. I mixed half of the cheese in with the casserole, and laid half on top of the casserole, before I spread the cracker crumbs on top. I used my Pampered Chef manual food processor to chop the crackers into crumbs, which also works great for chopping onions. I used a 2.75 quart casserole dish vs. a 2 quart dish, but I think this recipe you could make as big a batch as you like and adjust the ingredients accordingly. The casserole does not look too appetizing when you are mixing it up, so I did not take a lot of photos of the process, but it really does taste good after it is cooked, which I didn’t think I would like this recipe the first time I cooked it. The casserole started to smell really good when it was halfway done cooking in the oven - I wish we had smell-a-vision. Bon Appetit!  

Getting the ingredients prepped

 
The mixed up casserole before popping it into the oven

The finished product, hot out of the oven. Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment